Six Month Volunteering Opportunity in Lille
INTERNATIONAL CIVIC SERVICE OFFER, LILLE - FRANCE
The City of Lille, in partnership with the French association Lille Avenirs would like to recruit two international civic service volunteers from Leeds, aged 18-25, who have English as their first language and a good knowledge of French.
The offer is intended to reinforce the longstanding twinning relationship between the cities of Lille (France) and Leeds, as well as to support English language learning and intercultural activity in Lille.
The missions will take place in three primary schools (one per term) with additional time in youth centres and social centres during the holiday periods.
This mission is proposed by Lille Avenirs -Mission Locale De Lille.
The Mission Locale de Lille is a non-profit organisation that works for the social and professional integration of young people aged 16 to 25. The Mission Locale de Lille offers different services to young people according to their needs and expectations, in the field of employment, training, project assistance and business creation, housing, health, mobility and international solidarity, citizenship, civic engagement and access to culture.
Contract duration: 6 months, 25 hours/week from February 2023 to July 2023
Proposed tasks :
- To contribute to the organisation and creation of specific times around English language and culture
- To lead workshops or activities around English language and culture in primary classes during school time (interculturality sessions, discovery of English culture, games in English, linguistic basis, tales, songs, virtual exchanges with primary schools of Leeds and Lille…)
- During the school holidays, the volunteer can organise activities around English language and English culture in the social centres and recreation centres.
- To propose activities and set up English-speaking festivals
- To promote the Lille - Leeds cooperation in the Lille area, by setting up specific actions within the framework of the cooperation (presentation of the city of Leeds, occasional participation in projects between the two cities, link with the international relations department)
Required skills :
Language skills : good knowledge of French (minimum B1)
A positive attitude towards children
Experiences in running workshops for children and educational activities are appreciated
Social, communication skills, sense of responsibility
Age of the volunteer : from 18 to 25 years old
Tutoring and support:
- The overall support of the volunteer will be provided by Lille Avenirs. A meeting with all the volunteers is planned on arrival.
- Tutoring by a site referent on the missions with the target groups
- The volunteer can make proposals and develop the content of their mission.
- The mission includes a phase of immersion in the school and preparation time for workshops in pairs. The volunteer can go and see the proposed activities to draw inspiration from pedagogical techniques (English Club by the FAME association, fun English workshops, social centres, foreign language and culture themes).
- Training in first aid and in civic and citizenship will be provided to the volunteer.
- A valid passport
- A visa is required to stay in France
- A medical certificate
- International repatriation insurance
The volunteer will receive a monthly allowance of 489,59 € (about 423 £).
Transport costs from Leeds to Lille (one return trip), accommodation, food and local transport are covered.
Applications should be sent to John Donegan: John.Donegan@leeds.gov.uk before 15 January 2023.
International Relations Officer
Leeds City Council